A Sydney plumbing business has been issued with a $75,000 fine after one of it’s workers fell through a warehouse roof in January 2016 and died.
The employee, a 61 year old man was replacing asbestos roof sheeting and installing new roof safety mesh and insulation when the accident that claimed his life occurred.
He fell 8.7 metres through the roof to a concrete floor below and was fatally wounded.
The company was found to have failed to comply with health and safety laws. The company should have prevented the man from walking on the asbestos roof sheets and should have ensured he was using an individual restraint system.
Falls from height continue to be the most common cause of injury on work sites. Companies need to remember to keep workers safe on site and address all fall hazards.