A coroner has found that a young carpenter electrocuted at a construction site in Brisbane in 2013 while working for a roofing company, would not have died if different circuit breakers were in place.
The worker died on July 11 while working on a renovation and refurbishment project and was electrocuted when he touched a metal scaffolding pole while having his legs on guttering.
Deputy State Coroner John Lock who led the inquest, recommended the mandatory fitting of residual current devices be proposed to key stakeholders and the public and eventually the state government.
He said circuit breakers were designed to protect equipment from large voltages, whereas residual current devices that check currents going in and out, would have detected the leak from the damaged light fitting (Light Fitting Z) and would have made a difference for the worker. Find out more https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/tradie-killed-on-the-job-in-front-of-friend-could-have-been-saved-qld-coroner-20180426-p4zbxa.html